Thursday, September 23, 2010

International Week has Started!!


Today has been a good day. Hull brings international students from all over the world. I have learned that there are over 3000+ of us here from places around the world. At UIS, I am 1 in 3 study abroad student; At Hull, I am 1 in 3000!!

The university is well known for its international program. It has one of he best Political Science Departments in all of Europe! I am fortunate enough to have my major fall under this department! I also learned that Hull University is the 14th oldest 'uni' in all of Europe being founded in 1927.

I have started meeting people from all over the world! This is an experience I believe every student should have. I think it is much easier than back home.

ALSO, for the first time since the age of 15, I CANNOT work. It would be illegal for me to obtain work while studying here. I feel like freshman right out of high school for the first time ever! Its amazing!

I am having such a good time! I feel like a true college student being here. Meaning: my only obligation is school right now. I am enjoying the free time. However, I do have meetings and events to go to. International week is similar to Welcome Weeks back home and I will be going around collecting all of the Free-Bees!

Also today I met another student named Usman at a Pakistani restaurant (BEST FOOD EVER!!! -FYI). We had a really good conversation that sparked from a jar that was set up in the resturant to collect money for the people of Pakistan. From what he told me and I have read, this is the worst natural disaster in the history of the world. He told me how estimates of over 20 million people have been affected by this disaster. I felt bad not knowing anything about it so I looked it up and found this video...  < http://cnn.com/video/?/video/international/2010/09/17/bs.pakistan.flood.wald.pleitgen.cnn >

After watching it, I thought of Usman and how he must feel knowing his entire country is going through a devastating natural disaster, I think of where his strength comes from day to day. It made me reflect on my life and the things I have been through. Even with everything, I have no choice but to be so thankful for the pleasures I have in life.


I say all of this to say this... I cannot begin and probably never will be able to express how thankful I am to be in the position I am. There are no words to describe the feelings I have, or the things I have thought about today. I am going to use these experiences as my strength to move forward. There are men, women, and children all over the world who need good people in their lives. I am not choosing any other option but to be there for other people. I know I cannot do this alone, which is why I am even more thankful to be surrounded by such positive people.

Until Next Time! CHEERS

1 comment:

  1. Blake, I simply LOVE this post!!! There is NOTHING like having your eyes opened!!! You are blessed more than you know!!
    SN: Glad the food was great!! LOL
    I'm pround of you & look forward to future post!!

    ReplyDelete